Simone Cimiluca-Radzins, CPA

How to Split Expenses with Your Partner: Money Tips and Strategies

When you're in a committed relationship, managing your money together is a necessary part of building a shared life. One of the most important aspects of this is deciding how to split expenses with your partner. Whether you're living together or just going on a vacation, it's crucial to discuss and agree on how you'll pay for things.

Money is a sensitive topic, and it's understandable that some couples might feel hesitant to bring it up. However, avoiding conversations about splitting expenses can lead to misunderstandings, resentment, and even financial strain. When one partner feels like they're contributing more than their fair share, it can create tension in the relationship. Additionally, not having a clear understanding of each other's financial situation and priorities can make it difficult to plan for the future together.

Tips for Getting Started

If you're not sure where to begin with splitting expenses with your partner, here are some tips to help you get started:

Be honest and open about your financial situation and goals.

Share your income, debts, and savings goals with your partner so that you're both on the same page.

Set aside time to have a dedicated conversation about your finances.

This could be a weekly or monthly money date where you discuss your budget, savings goals, and how you'll split expenses.

Have a method for tracking your expenses.

By keeping track of your expenses in a smart way, you’ll save the time and energy of looking through receipts manually (no one wants to do that. You can use a budgeting app or spreadsheet to easily track expenses and see how much you are spending on shared expenses versus individual expenses.

Consider working with a financial coach.

A financial coach can help you create a budget, identify areas where you can save money, and find the best approach for splitting expenses based on your unique financial situation.

Methods to Use

Now that you're ready to start splitting expenses, let's explore some methods you can use.

Proportional Splitting

With this method, each partner contributes to joint expenses based on their respective income. For example, if one partner earns 60% of the total household income, they would be responsible for covering 60% of the shared expenses, and the other partner would cover the remaining 40%.

For instance, if the couple's joint expenses for a month amount to $2,000, and one partner earns $6,000 per month while the other partner earns $4,000 per month, the contribution would look like this:

Partner 1: $1,200 (60% of $2,000) Partner 2: $800 (40% of $2,000)
This method is often considered the most fair since it takes into account each partner's ability to contribute.

Equal Splitting

In this method, both partners contribute equally to shared expenses. This is a straightforward method that works well for couples who have similar incomes. It may not be the best method for couples with different incomes, or if one partner is not working, as it could result in one partner having less money for discretionary expenses.

For example, if the couple's joint expenses for a month amount to $2,000, each partner would contribute $1,000.

Hybrid Method

Couples can also use a combination of the proportional and equal splitting methods. For example, they could split shared expenses equally up to a certain amount, and then use proportional splitting for any expenses above that amount. This method can allow couples to balance fairness and practicality in their approach to managing joint expenses.

For example, if the couple's joint expenses for a month amount to $2,000, they could agree to split the first $1,000 equally and then use proportional splitting for any expenses above that amount.

Money management with your partner is an important aspect of managing your personal finances together. There are various methods you can use, but the most important thing you want to consider are your shared values, vision, and respect for each other. Remember, the goal is not just to split expenses, but also to build a strong foundation of trust and communication in your relationship. By being proactive and intentional about how you split expenses, you can reduce stress, avoid conflicts, and focus on achieving your shared financial goals.

Find a method that works for both partners, and communicate openly and honestly throughout the process. Consider working with a financial coach to help you navigate this important aspect of your financial life!
Created with